Monte Carlo GP - May 2nd 1967

Monaco - 100 laps

Article from Motorsport 1967 - By Jenk

Edited by Per Einarsson - photos from the world wide web


Back to list of races 1967
About the tracks

It is now just one whole year since the present Grand Prix Formula really got under way, for this time last year the Monaco Grand Prix saw the first big outing of the 3-litre Formula One cars and while 1966 saw some ups and downs 1967 is showing terrific progress. Although this year's Monaco GP was the first Championship event in Europe it was not the first in 1967 for back in the winter the South African GP was held, though in character it was a 1966 event. With the Monaco starting grid limited to sixteen cars, invitation entries were only given to manufacturers who have been building Grand Prix cars for at least three years, the rest of the entry having to fight among themselves during practice for the remaining places, and these in-cluded the A.A.R. Eagle-Weslake team and McLaren. The Owen Racing Organisation entered Stewart with a 2-litre V8 Tasman BRM and Spence with a revised H16 BRM as used at Oulton Park, and they had another similar H16 car for Stewart if he wanted it.

Honda Racing entered Surtees and he had two V12-cylinder cars to choose from, both to the same basic specification but differing in detail, the spare one being virtually brand new. They both had entirely new 5-speed gearboxes with a rearrangement of the crownwheel layout and the gear shafts, that provides lower friction losses and the whole unit was lighter than the previous one. They were also using new cast alloy wheels, with wider rims than before, now made in Japan whereas previous wheels were made by Halibrand in America.

The Brabham team had their two 1966 cars for Brabham and Hulme, the leader having the "interim" engine, of old bottom end and new cylinder heads, but they had a brand new all-Repco engine in a box in case it was needed. This had a Repco-designed aluminium crankcase and block in place of the basic American block used in the past, and it had the latest cylinder heads with inlet and exhaust ports in the vee of the engine, but still with single overhead camshaft to each bank of cylinders.

The Cooper Car Company entered Rindt and Rodriguez with Maserati-engined cars, unchanged to any great extent from the end of last year, but they had a spare car, which was also a 1966 monocoque chassis, with a brand new Maserati engine installed. This used the bottom end of the current 12-cylinder engine but had interesting new cylinder heads with three valves per cylinder. There are two inlet and one exhaust and the angle between the inlet and exhaust valves is very small so that the two camshafts on each head lie close together and are under one cam cover, not unlike the Eagle Weslake cylinder head. The inlet ports, fed by Lucas injection, lie in the vee of the engine and the exhaust ports are on the outside, while the twin sparking plugs per cylinder are under the exhaust ports in the side of the combustion chamber instead of in the more usual central position. Exposed toothed-belts at the front of each inlet camshaft drive twelve-pole spark distributors, ignition being by Lucas transistor system. All three cars were using ZF gearboxes and new one-piece drive shafts with rubber "doughnut" couplings were being tried for the first time, in view of the hard life that the Monaco circuit gives the transmission system. There was also a smaller and lighter radiator being experimented with and some interesting new fabricated magnesium wheels, but these stayed in the garage and were not used.

With the V8 Cosworth-Ford engine not being ready Team Lotus had to rely on old material, Clark having the Lotus 33 from last year with 2-litre Coventry-Climax V8 engine and ZF gearbox and Graham Hill having the Lotus 33 with 2-litre BRM V8 engine and Hewland gearbox.

The Ferrari team had three entries but actually only took up two of them, for Bandini and Amon, both cars having the new 36-valve engines with central exhaust system, as first appeared at Brands Hatch earlier this season. They were fitted with new nose cowlings and cockpit surrounds with faired-in rear-view mirrors and very small Perspex windscreens. There were enormous air scoops to the front brakes, a small one to the driver's feet and at the back great fog-horn like air scoops to the inboard rear brakes.

This made a total of eleven invited entries leaving five places to be decided among the remaining ten entries, but these were reduced to eight when neither Bonnier nor Ligier turned up with their private Cooper-Maseratis.

The remaining eight comprised Gurney and Ginther with the two Eagle-Weslake V12-cylinder cars, as raced at Brands Hatch, looking resplendent in highly polished and chromium plated finish, with blue and silver bodywork; Siffert with the Walker/Durlacher Cooper-Maserati V12 fresh from a fine drive at Silverstone; McLaren with his compact little monocoque Formula 2-based car, with 2.4-litre BRM V8 engine and Hewland gearbox, the car being fitted with a short nose cowling and pannier fuel tanks, so that it looked almost as wide as it was long; Anderson with his Brabham with 2.7-litre 4-cylinder Coventry-Climax engine; Courage with a 2-litre V8 BRM car running under the Parnell banner; and two works Matra entries driven by Beltoise and Servoz-Gavin, those being Formula 2 cars with Cosworth-Ford FVA 16-valve engines and Hewland gearboxes and both cars had to carry ballast to bring them up to the minimum Formula One weight. Of these eight the fastest five during the three practice periods would join the select seven to make up the field for the 25th Monaco GP.

Activity began on Thursday afternoon, with Rindt being first away in the Cooper with the new Maserati engine and Surtees was right behind him with one of the Hondas. Pretty soon everyone was under way and the only absentees were Clark and Hill, their cars not having arrived due to the transporter getting held up by a shipping strike in the Channel.

The lap record for the Monaco circuit was set up last year by Bandini with a Ferrari in 1:29.8 during the race, and in practice Clark was the fastest with 1:29.9 so it was reasonable to view 1:30.0 as bogey time for the factory runners in view of the general progress over the past twelve months. The general pace while everyone was settling in was around 1:35, but gradually the tempo increased and it was Stewart who was setting the pace with the 2-litre BRM.

McLaren had not gone far before a rear suspension mounting broke and that was the end of his practice, and Brabham was equally unfortunate as a connecting rod broke in his Repco engine. However, Hulme was in fine form and a joy to watch as he took the hairpins in a big tail slide, seemingly the only one who was enjoying the slow corners. Bandini was going well, as was Gurney, but Ginther could not match the pace of his leader, and Amon did not look too happy with the suddenness of the throttle response on the Ferrari. Spence was doing very well with the H16 BRM and Stewart did a few laps in his H16 but was putting all his efforts into the smaller and lighter V8-engined car.

FOG HORN - The Ferraris were fitted with large air scoops directed on to the rear brake discs which are mounted "inboard". Note the Modena Trade Plate number stencilled on the side
MINI SCREEN - The Ferraris had revised cockpit fairings with tiny Perspex screens and faired-in mirrors.
EAGLE - The Anglo American Racing cars for Gurney and Ginther had the expected Weslake V12-engine.
ROYAL BLUE - Two F2 entries were allowed from France, but only Servoz-Gavin in one of the Cosworth FVA-powered Matras qualified.
MODENA RED - The second outing for Scuderia Ferrari let the italian Bandini and New Zealander Chris Amon show the sleek machines in the monagasque streets.
SAME PROCEDURE - The new Repco engine has a new-developed crank housing, and the gasflow lay-out has been changed. However Brabham stays with his concept of trust-worthy and simple technology; there is only a single overhead camshaft.

While mechanics were checking over the Honda Surtees was concentrating on, he did a few slow laps in the newer car and by the end of the afternoon Stewart, in the V8 BRM was the only one to get below 1:30. However, Hulme, Bandini and Gurney were not far behind, though Gurney sheared a welded joint in a drive shaft, fortunately without any damage, but it meant a close inspection of the other shaft and of those on Ginther's car. Second practice was on Friday morning when most people were thinking about breakfast and this time the whole field were present, the Lotus cars having arrived in the night. All night work by the Brabham team had got the brand new 1967 Repco engine installed in Brabham's own car, but it had involved a lot of modifying and fabrication and he had to spend this practice period running-in the new engine. The whole pace of practice was much faster than the day before and a sense of urgency seemed to pervade everyone.

Clark was soon setting a furious pace with the Lotus-Climax V8 and Stewart was watching him all the way, but Surtees was getting the Honda going in a most impressive manner. Hulme was still working away with very serious intent as was Hill with the Lotus-BRM V8, but trouble was rife, for Rodriguez had his normal Maserati engine break so his numbers were put on the experimental car with the new engine and he practised with that. Beltoise had hardly begun to practise when a rear suspension upright collapsed on him as he took a bend in the Casino square, and Courage overdid things and crashed the Parnell BRM 2-litre V8. Bandini opened up a bit too soon at the Mirabeau hairpin and hit the wall, breaking his front suspension, and Stewart came to rest with bolts sheared in the final drive. Gurney had changed cars with Ginther, taking chassis number 103, and got well below 1:30 and by the time practice finished and the dust had settled there were quite a lot of repairs needed.

Surtees had made fastest time in an heroic drive with the Honda in 1:28.4 and Stewart, Clark, Gurney and Hill had all broken 1:30 while many others were not far off. Stewart had done 1:29.9 with his H16 BRM in only a very few laps and without making any adjustments so he was beginning to wonder whether he had been concentrating on the wrong car. Siffert was faster with the Walker/Durlacher Cooper-Maserati than both the works cars, which pleased the owners enormously, and he along with McLaren and Gurney seemed assured of a place on the starting grid.

It rained steadily on Saturday morning so it began to look as if Friday's time would be the fastest, but practice was not due until late afternoon, after two Formula 3 heats and before it began the circuit was nearly dry and the sun was shining again. There were no absentees for the mechanics had all slaved away and repaired the ravages of the Friday practice, Bandini's front end being straightened out, Courage's BRM being put straight, Rodriguez having another engine installed in his Cooper, Gurney and Ginther changing back to their original cars, the spare Honda having a 1966 gearbox fitted as one of the new ones had broken and Stewart's BRM transmission was repaired. The tempo of practice seemed to start up from where it left off the day before and there was some furious driving going on, the guaranteed starters trying to get on the front row of the grid and the non-guaranteed trying not to be left out. The Cooper team were not at all happy for the new engine in the Rodriguez car just would not function properly and Rindt hit a kerb "harder than usual " and broke a rear wheel as well as doing extensive damage to the chassis frame. Graham Hill broke the second gear in his Hewland gearbox and had to wait while his mechanics removed the broken bits and then continue practice without second gear. Bandini was none the worse for his mistake and was going faster than ever, beating the best time of the Honda with 1:28.3, while Clark and Hulme were very close with 1:28.8.

The two Formula 2 Matras were being driven way over the limit to try and qualify among the tail-enders and Anderson equalled the best time put up by Courage with the BRM and actually beat the best time of Amon, but he failed to make the select five by one-tenth of a second. Gurney was well qualified as was McLaren, but Ginther could not make the running, being slower than Anderson and the two Matras. As practice drew to a close and Anderson, Beltoise and Ginther realised they were not going to start, the wily old Brabham had been gradually extending his new Repco engine and on his very last lap did a fantastic 1:27.6. While this did not affect Bandini too much, he having been fastest up to this point, it knocked Surtees from the front row and relegated Clark to the third row along with Stewart, so that the first four cars were all full-blooded 3-litres and Hulme was quietly and confidently alongside the Honda on the two-by-two grid.

Starting grid

#8 Jack Brabham (Brabham-Repco V8) 1:27.6

#18 Lorenzo Bandini (Ferrari V12) 1:28.3

#7 John Surtees (Honda V12) 1:28.4

#9 Dennis Hulme (Brabham-Repco V8) 1:28.8

#12 Jim Clark (Lotus-Climax V8) 1:28.8

#4 Jackie Stewart (BRM V8) 1:29.0

#23 Dan Gurney (Eagle-Weslake V12) 1:29.3

#14 Graham Hill (Lotus-BRM V8) 1:29.9

#17 Joseph Siffert (Cooper-Maserati V12) 1:30.0

#16 Bruce McLaren (McLaren-BRM V8) 1:30.0

#2 J. Servoz-Gavin (Matra-Cosworth FVA) 1:30.4

#5 Mike Spence (BRM H16) 1:30.6

#6 Piers Courage (BRM V8) 1:30.6

#20 Chris Amon (Ferrari V12) 1:30.7

#10 Jochen Rindt (Cooper-Maserati V12) 1:30.8

#11 Pedro Rodriguez (Cooper-Maserati V12) 1:32.4

SLIPPERY - The oil-flag is out during the second passing of the chikane. Both Hulme and Stewart uses this oportunity to nip by the leading Bandini. The dust from the excess cement caused Clarke to take the escape road; a safety precaution that sent him to the back of the race.
The race

This year the timekeeper's box and the start and finish line had been moved from just after the Gasworks hairpin to just before Sainte Devote corner so that any last-minute dashes for the finishing line could now take place on the whole length of the pit straight. Conditions on Sunday were as good as could be desired as the cars lined up for the start, on the old starting grid so that when Louis Chiron dropped the flag the sixteen cars had a flying start over the timekeeper's line.

Stewart in the 2-litre V8 BRM was on Firestone tyres, while the other two BRMs were on Dunlop, the Honda had had an oil cooler fitted to the left side of the new gearbox, Bandini's Ferrari had the cockpit cover joint to the body sealed with red tape and Amon's car was sealed with blue tape. Both Brabhams were still on low-profile 15 in. Goodyear tyres, Rindt's Cooper chassis had undergone some major re-riveting during the night, and Hill's Hewland gearbox had been repaired. Gurney was still driving Eagle number 103 and it had been fitted with a very short nose cowling in case the normal long "beak" got bent in the opening lap scuffle.

It was Bandini who led away and Brabham's car seemed to hesitate as it took off and as the sixteen cars streamed round the town on the opening lap the new Repco engine broke a connecting rod and when Brabham got to the Mirabeau hairpin he was throwing oil onto his rear tyres from a hole in the block! The engine was still running on seven cylinders and Brabham spun in the middle of the jostling throng and travelled backwards down to the Station hairpin while nearly everyone scrambled past safely, the exception being Siffert, who in the process damaged his radiator. At the end of this exciting opening lap Bandini led from Hulme, Stewart, Surtees and Gurney, while Siffert limped into the pits and had his radiator changed and Brabham arrived to be rather surprised when he saw the hole in his brand new engine. What he did not realise was that he had laid oil on the course, which was being covered by cement dust while the pack were on their second lap.

As the leading hunch approached the "chicane" after the tunnel there was a lot of slipping and sliding about and clouds of cement dust and Clark, who was just behind expected a multiple accident to happen so he deliberately went up the escape road. When he backed out to rejoin the race, everyone had gone and he was all alone at the back of the field of fourteen cars, which almost immediately became thirteen for the Cosworth engine in the Matra of Servoz-Gavin broke its injection unit driving belt. During this panic Hulme and Stewart had nipped past Bandini, so the order was now Brabham, BRM, Ferrari, followed by Honda, Eagle and McLaren.

Gurney took his Eagle-Weslake past the Honda on the next lap and past the Ferrari on the lap after that, while Hulme was being pressed hard by Stewart. On L5 the Weslake engine broke the toothed belt driving the fuel pump and the Eagle lay stricken by the roadside after a short sharp race.

Clark was driving hard to make up time for his error and had already passed Courage and Rodriguez, the Cooper-Maserati running on about ten cylinders by the sound of it. Rindt was hanging on to the leading bunch and got by McLaren for a couple of laps and at the end of L6 Stewart crossed the line alongside Hulme, making his bid for the lead, which came off. The little Scot was in terrific form and Hulme could keep him in sight but not stay with him and a small gap began to appear between the two cars. Bandini was in third place, with Surtees right behind him, with McLaren and Rindt in the Honda's wake. This group had already outdistanced the rest of the runners who were being led by Hill in the Lotus-BRM V8, but Amon who was next was about to be caught by Clark, who was making fastest race laps every time round, but nowhere near the lap record as the circuit was still slippery.

At the end of L15 Hulme was leading and Stewart was seen travelling slowly along the harbour front, his crown wheel and pinion having broken up and the others went by him as he made slowly for the pits so retire. This put Bandini back into second place, still with Surtees just behind him, followed by McLaren.

Rindt had gone out when his gearbox broke up and Clark had caught and passed Hill by this time, though with the drying track everyone had speeded up and Hulme now held the fastest lap at 1:31.5, but it was significant that Clark was the first to appreciate the changing conditions and increase his lap speed.

By L20 Hulme was comfortably in the lead with some 15 seconds over Bandini, but Surtees could not get the Honda past the Ferrari and McLaren was still hanging on to them and going extremely well. The Honda was showing signs of tiring and as it went by on L27 there was an ominous trail of smoke coming from the engine and on the next lap McLaren took third place from the Japanese car.

Clark was still making fastest laps and as he clocked 1:30.6 on L28, he caught right up with the ailing Honda and on the next lap Surtees waved him by as they raced down the promenade behind the pits. The smoke from the Honda was getting worse all the time and it was obviously not going to last much longer and it finally succumbed, with suspected broken piston on L33, stopping at the "chicane". At this point Hulme was rounding Saint Devote corner as Bandini was rounding the Tabac corner, so that there was just twice the length of the promenade between them.

Clark was still going as fast as ever and now had his sights on McLaren and third place and by L40 he was right behind McLaren, having set up a new lap record on L38 in 1:29.5 and only Amon and Hill were still on the same lap as the leading foursome, the Lotus-BRM clutch was playing up and Amon had got by on L23, but was making no impression on the leaders. As Clark was completing L43 he hurled the Lotus into the Tabac corner and at that moment the right rear spring unit broke and the car spun into the wall and wrecked the rear suspension. Clark climbed out unhurt, but now a spectator, with the small consolation of holding the lap record.

Bandini was now beginning to get his second wind and he slowly reduced the gap between the leading Brabham and his Ferrari down to 7 seconds, but Hulme was equal to the challenge and held his lead to around 8 seconds and it became a trial of strength with the rugged New Zealander coming out on top.

At L50, which was half-distance, the order was Hulme (Brabham-Repco V8), Bandini (Ferrari V12), McLaren (McLaren-BRM V8), Amon (Ferrari V12) and Hill (Lotus-BRM V8), all still on the same lap, Spence (BRM H16), Rodriguez (Cooper-Maserati V12) and Courage (BRM V8) being well behind, while Siffert was circulating having lost 19 laps while his water system was repaired.

BLACK JACK - After spinning on the opening lap Brabham had to reverse down to the Station hairpin to turn round, after everyone had gone by.
BIG CARS - Spence in an H16 BRM is closely folowed by Amon in a 3-litre V12 Ferrari around the Station hairpin
OMINOUS - The V12 Honda driven by Surtees retired with engine trouble after vainly trying to catch Bandini's Ferrari, and retitement was heralded by a smoke haze that followed the car for many laps, as seen in the photograph of the car in the Casino Square
PLAN - This unusual picture of Hulme in the Monaco winning Brabham-Repco V8 shows the layout of the car to good effect, as he runs onto the pave surface of the harbour front past a Monagasque lamp-post
The deadlock between the two leading drivers continued for fifteen laps, with McLaren always in third place and Amon fourth, while Hill was lapped by the leaders. McLaren's engine began to lose power for his alternator was not balancing the consumption and his battery was running down and affecting the ignition. By L70 the deadlock had been broken, Hulme's superior physical condition obviously coming out on top and poor Bandini was beginning to flag and he began to show signs of tiredness and lack of concentration, occasionally being untidy and ragged on some corners. There was a mild panic at Saint Devote at this time, when Courage spun his BRM and could not restart the engine so he had to abandon the car on the footpath, and on L71 McLaren's engine was sounding awful so he pulled into the pits and had a new battery fitted but this dropped him behind Amon and Hill, and two laps behind the leader.

On L82 as Bandini took the "chicane" the Ferrari struck the wooden barriers and was immediately out of control. It mounted the straw bales on the outside of the corner, a wheel was broken off, and the car landed upside down in the middle of the road with the driver trapped underneath. Almost instantaneously the car was a sheet of flame and by the time Bandini was extricated from the wreckage he was in a very serious condition, and subsequently died from his burns.

This very nasty incident now left Amon in second place, nearly a lap behind Hulme who was driving as regularly and smoothly as ever, but on L91 the Ferrari suffered a punctured rear tyre, probably from running over something near the crash, and Amon wallowed into the pits to have it changed. This put him behind Hill, but still ahead of McLaren and in that order the race ran to its close at 100 laps. During the confusion of the accident Rodriguez had got his sick Cooper-Maserati ahead of Spence's H16 BRM, though opinion was sharply divided as to whether this was strictly correct. The Cooper had never fired on twelve cylinders all afternoon and the pit were reluctant to bring the car in, as knowing their Maserati engines they were pretty sure it was overheating and would not restart again.

The accident to Bandini threw rather a cloud over the finish of the race and detracted some of the glory that was due to Hulme, for he had driven with the will to win from the very first practice period and had shown outstanding stamina.

SIFFERT - Joseph Siffert points the red Cooper-Maserati onto the chicane at the habour front
HULME - The Brabham on opposite lock
FATALITY BY FATIGUE - Enzo's number one driver Lorenzo Bandini before the accident in the beautiful Ferrari 312
RINDT - The Cooper on opposite lock
RINDT - Followed by a BRM around the station hairpin
SLOW DOWN - Dan Gurney (beak in place again) enters the tight 1st gear hairpin at the Monaco Railway station on his way to the habour front. In hot pursuit is seen Jackie Stewart in the V8 BRM of the Owen Racing Organisation.
BANDINI - Trapped under the burning Ferrari
SELF-CONFIDENT - Monaco Champ of the sixties, Graham Hill, powers into the Casino Square in his 1966 Lotus. Cosworth did not manage to have the promised 3-litre V8 ready for the first european gathering.
AMON - In the paddock just before the race. The cockpit fairing is sealed with blue tape
RODRIGUEZ - Exiting Casino square and aiming for Mirabeau
JOHN SURTEES - Leading Dan Gurney in the nose-less Eagle
AMON - In the splendid new car as "number two driver" for mr. Ferrari, here seen exiting the pit-lane for a stint of practice
MCLAREN - On full lock coming around the hairpin at the railway station
CHICANE - John Surtees in the Honda RA273 trailing Lorenzo Bandini in the Ferrari 312 through the needle eye of the chikane. No wonder the marshalls decided to spray cement at the slightest sign of oil on the track. The photo shows claerly taht it takes skill and bravery to shoot down from the tunnel and zigzag the car down to the waterfront!
RINDT - Drifting around the corner at the "tobacconist's store"
HILL - Station hairpin the Lotus 33 proved to be a good choice for the twisty circuit
HULME - Leading Bandini, Stewart and Surtees in the opening laps of the race
BANDINI - Breaking hard for the station hairpin
BANDINI - Same spot, but more relaxed
MCLAREN - Entering the hairpin at the gas works before the pits area

P1 Dennis Hulme Brabham-Repco V8

P2 Graham Hill Lotus BRM V8 2-litre

P3 Chris Amon Ferrari V12

P4 Bruce McLaren McLaren-BRM V8 2.4-litre

P5 Pedro Rodriguez Cooper-Maserati V12

P6 Mike Spence BRM H16

Winner's Speed - 122.143 kph

Fastest Lap - Jim Clark 1:29.5

Championship Table After Monaco

12 points - Denny Hulme

11 points - Pedro Rodriguez

6 points - Graham Hill

6 points - John Love

4 points - Chris Amon

4 points - John Surtees

3 points - Bruce McLaren

2 points - Bob Anderson

1 points - Jack Brabham

1 points - Mike Spence

Go to the next GP at Zandvoort 4th june 1967